1. French fries are our favorite deep-fried food . . . our favorite thing to eat with burgers . . . and the most popular “American food.” They ranked first ahead of burgers, mashed potatoes, grilled cheese sandwiches, and fried chicken.
2. A recent survey found McDonald’s still has the best fast-food fries. The rest of the top five are Chick-fil-A, Five Guys, Wendy’s, and Arby’s.
3. Regular fries are our favorite type, buy curly fries are a close second. Steak-cut fries are next, then crinkle-cut, waffle fries, and wedges.
4. 24% of us have called them “Freedom fries” before, but mostly as a joke. Only 9% have actually used it as a real term.
5. Our favorite things to dip fries in are ketchup, ranch, cheese sauce, barbecue sauce, and mayo.
6. 14% of people say knowing that it’s National French Fry Day makes them more likely to eat some fries. 5% say less likely.